People keep asking me why do I want to unjailbreak my phone and bring it back to the original iOS 6.1.
The intention for me to jail break an iphone is to install tweaks and free paid apps (cracked apps) and I think this is also the intention of all those who jail break their iphones.
Before going to the disadvantage of jail breaking, let me tell you, you can still install cracked apps into your iphone by using PP Zhu Shou (助手). YES, you heard me? WITHOUT jail breaking and you can install cracked apps, so you have to "update" your mindset now. Jail broken an iPhone doesn’t mean you can always get all the apps free.
Now let me list out the disadvantage after jail breaking:
1. You can’t do a remote erase in case your iphone is stolen or missing.
2. You can’t do over-the-air update of your iOS. You can only use back the traditional method which is via iTunes.
3. Not all the tweaks from Cydia are stable. Most of them slow down your system and make it unstable.
4. Most of the good / useful tweaks from Cydia are NOT FREE, you still need to pay for it.
5. With the shutdown of installous and Hackulous, the so called replacement is "iFanBox" (China made apps).
6. Can hardly download apps from iFanBox and PP助手, the connection is super slow.
1. Remote Erase
Touch wood, you don’t need to use this function day in day out but it will become useful when your iphone is missing or get stolen. I believe you don’t want your friends and your personal data to be leaked out, right? Especially photos and contact numbers.
2. Update iOS over-the-air
Means you can upgrade your iOS version via the phone itself, you don’t need to plug into iTunes. Sound like a lot easier than those complicated steps by using iTunes, right? Which is true. You can’t do this anymore after jail breaking because they disable this ability (although you still see a red badge telling you there’s an update). It won’t work after you tap on the install update button.
Usually changing how the system performs or behaves will need more processing power and indirectly draining more battery and you will start to complain your phone running slow and battery usage is like drinking water.
4. Cydia Apps
A lot of useful and yet powerful apps from Cydia need to be paid as well such as mywi, my3g, icontrol (if you want to know what are these, please ask Google) and so on. You can still add other sources to download the cracked tweaks but some of them are not up-to-date and can’t use in your current iOS version or caused instability to your phone.
5. iFanBox is a china made apps and of course the primary language used in the apps is Chinese and most of the apps displayed to you are also in chinese version. If you know Chinese by all means go ahead to utilize your knowledge with the apps. Don’t forget that I can still use PP助手 to download and install illegal / cracked apps WITHOUT jail breaking.
6. I don’t know is it Malaysia’s network only or China purposely make it this way, it is super duper slow to download files from China. So same goes to when you want to download apps from iFanBox and PP助手. Means you can see but can’t use. Then I jailbreak for what? =.=
So what’s the point of jail breaking, can’t get things free but make your iphone suffer. 😦
I don’t know but all these depend on individual, if you like to make your iphone fancy, "powerful" and more unique perhaps so by all means go ahead to jail break. If you want something simple and nice, better stick to what Apple has done for you. No offense to jail break supporters. I was a fan of jail breaking but not now anymore as iOS progresses and updates, it is getting more and more user friendly and useful, although still can’t toggle some switches from the pull down notification center, at least Apple brings it out at the top and front page in the settings apps.
So the choice is still on your hands, use it wisely and enjoy the jail broken / original iOS. 🙂